The Government have published a White Paper ‘Planning for the Future’ which proposes radical changes to the current planning system. If introduced these changes would be the most significant changes in the last 50 years!
The proposals build on amendments that have already recently passed into law:
- A wide range of commercial buildings can change to residential without planning permission.
- Homeowners can build two story extensions without planning permission on existing houses with two stories or more
- Additional stories will be allowed on flats without planning permission
- Builders will no longer need full planning permission to demolish an rebuild vacant buildings if they are rebuilt as homes
- There are limitations – the above does not apply to listed buildings, AONB etc and they will have to abide by building regulations
The new proposals include: a National Target to build 300,000 homes per year with mandatory local targets, there is also a large increase in Permissive Developments which will severely restrict Borough and Parish Councils from being able to scrutinise new planning applications on behalf of local residents.
If you have concerns about these proposals then the White Paper can be accessed by searching online. The consultation period ends on the 15th October. Alternatively you can email the local MP Geoffrey Cox at email@example.com